A New Chapter

Where do I even begin? As I have reflected on countless moments that this decade has brought me, I am so much more focused on what is to come in the next year. I was spending time with family for the holidays this past weekend and found myself being ready to close one big chapter in my life. I have discovered that life is like one big book. A new chapter means  more goals.

Preparing for a year that I never thought would come is a surreal feeling. Digging up old photos and tapes bring a bittersweet sensation to my heart. Recently, I found a letter that my junior high self wrote for my 2020 self. Reading that note I prepared for myself four years ago helped me realize not only how much your goals can change in a short amount of time, but what is most important to be able to achieve those goals.

Its interesting to look back and realize just months ago I thought that I wouldn't graduate or even get accepted into college. I did what was possible to push myself. In addition, I never thought I would be vulnerable enough to start a blog. I didn't think it was possible for me to get back into writing or even reading for that matter. I had to let go of past trauma in my life and be able to create a new path for myself. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to know what is in that new path for me, I have to go through it to find out.

When I struggle with my mental illnesses, I try to use systems that help me heal and cope with my situations. Sometimes those tools don't come into play right away. Fortunately, this doesn't mean that I failed at my goal of helping myself. A goal doesn't need to be met right away, but it needs to be something attainable and something you work toward.

Humans tend to think that life writes itself, but if it did we would all be copies of each other. Stories wouldn't be unique, and individuals wouldn't be able to find who they truly are. The more memories we collect the better our resume of ourselves become. I have learned throughout the year 2019 that lemons don't come freshly squeezed. If you don't get that analogy, I'm sorry, but I'm going to use it anyway. We are given the lemons/tools and we choose how
or if we want to squeeze them. As you can tell, I love lemons, but my point is that you have to work for what you want.

People rave this time of season about New Years Resolutions, but I simply don't get the hype. You can do a resolution at any point in your life, even if it isn't met in a year. For example, I always knew I wanted to be an artist in some sort of way. I can't just snap my fingers and have it happen overnight. It takes patience and practice and that is how you learn. I might not get a drawing or painting done in the time frame that I want to, but I feel that taking longer on some things helps you build more craft and pride in what you are making. This doesn't mean I will never get it finished, it makes me think about what a project means to me and how I want to achieve the finished product.

Making goals for yourself is suppose to increase your health. Whether you start a goal for yourself mentally or physically, it should start to make it's way into a daily or weekly routine. Our brain takes about sixty days to develop a new habit so starting out slow isn't a bad thing. This gives us time to weave the goals into our daily routine, and start adapting to them early on. Everything is achievable if we have the patience to practice for those goals. Start the new year out simple because life is too short for not creating a happy healthy relationship with yourself.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Soul Process

Anxious Impressions

Redirecting