Painted Dreams






Some people think that art is something that you are born with or have to be talented in. Little did I know 7 years ago I would still be creating new things with my life, or even writing this post.
During my second semester of my sophomore year I took my first art class at CFHS. Fortunately, I had some experience with drawing, but not so much of my own style yet. During my earlier years of schooling, I had amazing art teachers so I was hesitant to walk in to a class which housed a completely new set of rules for me (again). I remember looking around the room and seeing each and every chair painted. The chairs were designed with a theme and I was fascinated by each unique story. It was always a goal for me to paint something that is instantly recognizable and brings life to a room.
My senior year, I had an urge to have something displayed in the art room. A project that could be admired by future students of CFHS.  I wanted to paint one of the chairs.
One day in my independent study class, I asked my teacher what it would take to have the opportunity to paint one of the chairs. She said that all I had to do was find an animator or illustrator that had not been done in  the art room. I searched and saw paintings influenced by  Disney, Tim Burton, Nickelodeon, and even a chair with Bob Ross plastered on the back.
 Originally, I chose Hanna Barbera because I loved his style and his characters always showed up in my life as a young child. Unfortunately, a feeling within me didn't click with the idea that I planned. In the same vein, I remembered how my mom had collected the Garfield series by Jim Davis. I wanted to honor her in a way that others could always admire, but it would mean so much more to me because of the personal connection. I found inspiration from the tv specials, the number of comics, blankets, and stuffed animals that were in totes in my basement and eventually found a perfect balance of artistic and comedic flare.
A few days later, I got the thumbs up to start on this huge project that I had one chance get right ( cause you can't erase paint and marker). I started right before spring break, got it delivered to my front door during quarantine, and finished it on May 8th, 2020. I signed my class year and my signature plastered on the side of the chair in permanent ink.
This piece holds a memory. A memory of many firsts, friends, and family that I have spent countless hours with. Knowing that many generations that will see this makes my heart beam with pride and made the countless hours of back pain and acrylic covered fingers worth the time.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anxious Impressions

Redirecting

The Soul Process